Friday, March 19, 2010

Yesterday

Yesterday, for the second time in history, Murray State University won an NCAA basketball tournament game. The last time it happened, I was 8 years old and I remember it vividly. The guys had been to my house for dinner only weeks before - Paul King, Jeff Martin, Don Mann, Robert McClatchy, AJ Mensey and here they were: being referred to as "Cinderella" on national TV. My Dad and I watched MSU beat NC State, while my Mom took pictures from the baseline. Yep, Mom had traveled to Lincoln, NE for the game; it was so exciting to find her on TV!
I remember being so naif that I was genuinely surprised and upset when MSU lost the next game to the eventual tournament champion Kansas Jayhawks, led by Danny Manning. The refs called a foul on Carl Sias with seconds left that turned the game the Jayhawks way and I began to pout. I distinctly remember my father being amused at this and I got my first lesson in lowered expectations.
Over the subsequent 22 years, that lesson has come in very handy. The Racers tempted me many times to get my hopes up. In 1990, we took #1 Michigan State to overtime; in 1997, #2 Duke edged us out by 3; #3 UNC beat us by 4 in 2006. Each time, the thought crept in: "maybe this time." But no.
Yesterday, it was the same roller coaster all over again, except this time it was "this time." It's so weird that this team, whom I followed all around the OVC during my formative years, is now one of the main foci of the national sports media.
I honestly feel bad for my friends who are Vandy fans, but I have no idea how they feel. I can't imagine cheering for a team who's expected to win in the NCAA tournament. Much less, having that team just punch you in the gut. In Murray, we know to expect the punch.
But yesterday, at the apex of my celebratory leap, I took up that 8 year old's "blind optimism" and have been walking on air since then.

Thanks Racers.

2 comments:

aranitnit said...

can you tell me if Carl Sias played basketball in Bogota colombia in 1989

Cory said...

Sorry, I didn't keep track of Carl once he left Murray State. But the timing sounds right.